Brief History of Ai Tong School
Ai Tong School was established in 1912. Originally, the school with only 30 pupils, was housed in a Methodist Church at Boon Tat Street.
Appended below in chronological order are dates of significance to the school.
1917: The school was re-sited at 209 Telok Ayer Street.
1929: The Hokkien Huay Kuan took over the autonomy of the school.
1946: Branch school opened at the old Gan Eng Seng School premises. Enrolment increased to 1,600.
1956: The main school moved to the Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan building at 137 Telok Ayer Street.
1957: The school became a government-aided school.
1961: The enrolment of the school was approximately 2,360. This was the biggest enrolment achieved
by the school.
1978: Construction work for a new school building began at Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3.
1979: 887 pupils were holding classes at Mayflower Primary School and Ang Mo Kio Primary School.
1980: Became an integrated school. The holding classes moved to the new school building. The total
enrolment rose to 2,025.
1981: The new building was officially declared open by the Parliamentary Secretary (Education) Mr Ho
Kah Leong on 9 October.
1984: All the pupils took English as the first language and Chinese as the second language.
1989: The school became a Special Assistance Programme (SAP) school.
1993: The Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Wong Kan Seng officiated at the Relocation Ceremony on
1998: The extension block housing special rooms was completed.
2000: The extension block was officially opened by the Chairman of the Singapore Hokkien Huay Kuan,
Mr. Wee Cho Yaw.
2004: The school undergoes PRIME. More rooms and facilities are added to the existing building.
PRIME is completed.